Thursday 7 February 2013

Todd and Kim | Ottawa Family Portrait

Winter is here and that means moving some sessions indoors. Not that romping around in the snow isn't fun and always an option with me, but when you have little ones, the cold isn't always the best environment.

This family got in touch with me to ask about studio shots and I actually recommended to them that we shoot in their home. They were surprised, assuming that it wouldn't be feasible, but in fact, it was the perfect space. Let me tell you why: With little ones that are under a year (or really under 3yrs of age frankly), your home is the PERFECT place to do photos. Your children will be relaxed and comfortable. You can control the temperature. Your kids clothes (or change of clothes) and their toys are nearby. You are not worried about them getting dirty or breaking anything so YOU are more relaxed. Not to mention that the commute to the studio and getting everyone bundled up and in/out of a car can be a chore.

These things don't sound very stressful but when you are trying to put your best foot (face) forward and have your kids do the same, well, all the extra factors can contribute to less than perfect results. Soooo :) move it to your place, and I'll take care of the lighting and we'll agree when the best time is to meet up when your kids are fed / rested and happy!

For the photo geeks out there, let me tell you I lit this space with 2 Canon 580s on manual, one directly behind me bouncing off the top corner of the room and set to 24mm zoom, and the second slightly behind me to my left pointed into the top of the wall set to 1/2 power, also zoomed wide. The first was triggered with a Pocket Wizard on my camera and the 2nd flash was a slave. In post-processing I blew out some of the details in the windows with photoshop :P

And these are the fantastic results!



No comments:

Post a Comment

add your comment here