Saturday 6 October 2012

How photoshop saved the day!!

Over the years I have been able to see first hand how effective and critical a tool photoshop can be. Now, that is not to say that I try to make up for poor photography habits with a whole bunch of post-processing. I try really hard to have a good eye on site to spot potential items that will later have to be removed digitally, and of course I know the technical aspects of lighting/composing a shot in camera. However photoshop can certainly help, to enhance or correct images where certain factors just couldn't be avoided.

Here are 4 stories of triumph! [use the slider over each image to see the before and after edits]

First ... a creative that never really .. popped! This was a project I set up many years ago that involved quite a lot of effort and collaboration to set up, but the final product , well , left a lot to be desired. The makeup application was a little boring and the model had facial piercings which I thought would add to the look but then later decided it detracted.
before
after


For this equine portrait, the dad was enlisted to help still a fidgety horse, as a safety precaution. It saved me from having a shot of a frisky pony dumping it's 2 riders but it also sort of ruined what otherwise would have been a lovely image.
before
after


This shot is an example of HDR , which isn't available in-camera on my Canon 50D. I decided to try it out in post-processing to see what sort of look I would achieve. These sorts of adjustments are very much analogous to what we would do in the old days when selecting a film to use, choosing the processing method, and perhaps making and developing the print. For these sorts of adjustments, Photoshop is a thoroughly legitimate choice.
before
after


Finally this large family portrait grouping didn't work for me as the dad and his wee daughter were just too far outside to my liking. So I digitally shuffled them closer to the group, removed a distracting pair of sunglasses from grand-dad and then adjusted lighting and noise.
after
before


No comments:

Post a Comment

add your comment here